Upon realizing that all of our previous routines have focused around strength training, we decided to do something different for this month.
For July’s routine, we approached Dr. Layne Norton with the question “If you only had 15 minutes to do cardio, what is the best routine possible?”
In return, he guaranteed the best cardio routine that’s humanly possible – one that both builds muscle and “is more effective for fat burning than walking on an incline treadmill for over an hour.” We will warn, however, that this isn’t for the faint of heart.
The routine requires the use of a stationary bike.
1. Start out by warming up for 5 minutes at half of the bike’s max resistance.
2. After 5 minutes, pedal as fast as you can for 10 seconds.
3. Then, increase the resistance to the max and still pedal as fast as you can. Continue this for 20 seconds.
4. Go back to an easy pace and resistance for 90 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 2 to 4 until you hit 15 minutes.
And as always, make sure to track your workouts for points on Fitocracy. (You can follow Layne on there too!)