This recipe was originally posted by Anna at www.proteinpow.com.
I shaved some Madagascan Bourbon Vanilla Pods for this one and MAN, oh MAN! did that dropkick the whole thing into to another dimension of OOMPH (also, I always think that when vanilla ice cream has visible vanilla seeds, it looks even tastier for some reason?) Vanilla ice cream is one of my all time favorites; it’s simple but done right, oh! it can pack such a delicious punch! AAAA!!!!
Blended together and frozen for 30 minutes, taken out and hand-churned, thrown back in for another 30 minutes, taken out and hand-churned, thrown back in for another 30 minutes, taken out and hand-churned and… consumed (check out this video for the basic gist of protein ice cream):
- 1 tub of Quark (it’s a type of virtually fat-free cheese; you can sub it with cottage cheese, just make sure you blend it a lot if you do to ensure no cottage-cheesy-lumps remain – as that’d be gross)
- 1 tbsp of Mascarpone (I used low-fat Mascarpone)
- 1/2 cup of Vanilla Whey Protein
- 1/2 tbsp of Vanilla Flavoring Pow
- 2 teaspoons of Madagascan Bourbon Vanilla Pods (straight from the pod, nom nom nom)
Now, you COULD also use Greek Yogurt instead of Quark. You just have to make sure that it’s nice and creamy (and ideally that it’s a medium to higher fat yogurt to ensure the final product hits all the right notes). Why the mascarpone? Because it added a an extra creamy dimension to the whole thing. It’s optional though (you could sub it with Ricotta too if you want). Remember also that you can add some nuts in there as well (I’m thinking macadamias and/or pecans would be amazing!), top it with cinnamon, add some dark chocolate chunks – the sky’s the limit with vanilla (protein) ice cream. La, la, la! the final product was lush: creamy, deeply vanillay, smooth and absolutely heavenly eaten outside, under the hot sun, after a good workout :-). Here’s to starting our (Northern Hemisphere) summer in style ;-).
Macros per serving:
Serving size: two ice cream balls you get from the mix above
- 36g protein
- 11.5g carbos (1.1g sugars)
- 7.3g fat (4.3g sat)
- 0.1g fiber!